The CAN-SPAM ACT is an important part of digital business law. Check out the video below or Scroll down for the highlights.
Find out more on Digital Business Laws!
What is the CAN-SPAM ACT?
- It is an act/law that governs the way we send emails. See https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cases/2007/11/canspam.pdf
- The big parts of the law:
- Your “to” and “from” should be honest. Don’t try to hide the ball. Your reader should be able to tell what website and the person the email is coming from
- Don’t use deceptive subject lines. Your subject line should be about the material in your email. You can get creative, just keep it on point.
- If you are sending and AD, then make sure your readers know that it is an AD.
- You need an address. This can be your physical address or a P.O. Box, but you need to have an address where mail can be sent to you.
- Make sure people know where to Opt-Out. If have a mailing list, then you need to make sure your readers can opt-out or unsubscribe. It needs to be clear!
- Honor Opt-outs immediately. If someone unsubscribes, then you need to honor it immediately. Just go ahead and delete them!
- Make sure you know what others are doing on your behalf. If someone is sending emails out for you, then you may be liable if they mess up #1-6. So make sure others are following the rules.
The CAN-SPAM ACT plays a vital role in email marketing. Make sure you are following these rules, so the fines don’t get you!
****Hey there sunshine! I just wanted to let you know that yes, I am an attorney, but I am NOT YOUR ATTORNEY. The information above does not put us in an attorney-client privilege contract type setting. Even though you are reading this, it doesn’t mean that I am giving you legal advice as an attorney.